So you want to become a referee.
This is great news as there is a significant need for referees of all ages.
In order to become a referee you must study the laws of the game, register for the course at the state referee website listed below, watch the learning modules on the laws of the game and then pass a test with 80% score or better.
Anyone wishing to become a referee must have obtained 14 yrs of age prior to signing up for the online course.
NEW for 2024 referee year
- All NEW 2024 referees will receive an OSI Uniform Starter Kit with their membership registration fee. This is a $70 benefit. Welcome to the FSR team! After paying for registration, order your OSI kit in the Administrative Tab ASAP to get the FSR Membership package of uniform and training shirt to arrive before you complete your in-person course so you are ready to go!
- Young Referees Ages 14-17 will have a discounted membership registration fee! We see you all hustling and loving the game while balancing school, sports, and activities! We want to help further support your love for the game. Be sure to register for the proper course to receive the discounted price.
- Membership Registration Fees Remain the Same. There is no fee change for new or recertifying referees (absent the discount to young referees!). We look forward to providing more Referee Education Development and Instruction (REDI) programming in person and via webinars to continue your education. More opportunities and access to upgrading to an advanced referee, regional, advanced regional, and national candidate! Importantly, in-person networking events, field training clinics, and video clip analysis.
2024 Certification Requirements - Online Modules + Training + Safety Compliance (18+)
To complete your certification requirements before January 1, please note the following:
1. All new and recertifying referees must complete their online modules through the FSR website. Online modules must be completed before you attend the training course.
2. All referees must complete a training course. See below for what category you fit into for the training course:
- In-Person Training Course Required:
- All NEW Referees
- All YOUNG Referees (new and recertifying) - Between the Ages of 14-17
- Recertifying Referees with three or fewer years of experience. Any referee who was first certified in the 2021 USSF Certification Period. Please note this is not the day you took the course but the badge year you received. Please check the US Soccer Learning Center and history section to see the referee year you received your badge.
- Returning Referees. Lapse in refereeing certification in the 2023 certification period.
- Zoom Webinar or In-Person Option:
- ONLY Recertifying referees with three or more years of experience. First certified in 2020 or before then. These referees have the option to attend a zoom webinar course or an in-person course.
- All Emeritus Referees Must Attend Zoom Webinar or In-Person (online modules course is in the works!)
- FSR membership packages (cards, coins, whistle, and training top) are only distributed at in-person clinics - go to an in-person clinic and meet some friends!
To start the process of becoming a referee, please go to the state referee website www.flsoccerrefs.org.
You will then create an account and be able to sign up for a course and your on your way to becoming a referee.